Sunday, December 5, 2010

This is What I've Been Creating All Sememster.

I do a lot, I think, compared to some people. I go to school, I work as an artist and tailor, and I do an apprenticeship. But most of my time, energy, love, and creativity goes to the Baltimore Free Farm. We're all volunteers, attempting to create alternative food systems inside Baltimore City. This year our biggest accomplishments were building a community garden and acquiring a warehouse, but we did a lot of other stuff, too. I consider this project art, even though it has utilitarian elements. Sure, we grow food, but we also make music and blogs and crazy DiY haunted houses, etc. So for my final required list post, here are some links you can follow to learn more about "my baby," the BFF.

1) This is the video we all made together in an effort to raise funds for our Kickstarter campaign. I'm the one with the paint sprayer, and I'm talking about the "hive of activity" and "de-commodifying our lives." The idea is to raise money to repair our warehouse, so that we can continue to provide community support. All the music was recorded by people we work with.



2) This is where you can vote for us to win a living roof in the Cole Roofing Green Roof Giveaway. Just log into facebook first, and then you can vote up to once per day, for the next 12 days. We're not in the lead right now, but the votes are not the only factor in the contest, so we could still win this thing.

3) This is where we were mentioned in Slingshot!, which is sort of a huge honor within the Punk Rock community. Slingshot! has been around for 22 years, and is one of my favorite 'zines of all time. We didn't know that they had acknowledged us, until we started getting letters from all over the country, with the authors saying that they had read about us in Slingshot!

4) This is the coverage of the BFF Halloween party, !!!FARMAGEDDON!!!, from local art e-zine What Weekly. What weekly have very good to us, previously covering one of our music festivals, and our involvement with the 2010 DiY Festival. (I'm the one with glasses in this picture by Brooke Hall.)



From left: Andrew, Don, AG, and JMe of the Baltimore Free Farm

5) This is where you can sign up to recieve the Urbanite E-Zine, in which we will be profiled this coming week. We gave an interview to Heather Dewar, who took this picture below. We're all very curious how it will turn out.



From left: Don, AG, Mike, Billy, and Allison are some of the Baltimore Free Farmers.

I've really enjoyed writing this blog, and I hope you've enjoyed reading it. I intend to keep it going!

Best wishes next semester, and beyond,
-AG Sherman, Baltimore Free Farm Event Coordinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment